US Immigration Law | USA Lawyer and Attorney Help

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

On March 1, 2003, with the creation of the DHS, USCIS officially assumed responsibility for the delivery of U.S. immigration services and benefits. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has naturalized almost 700,000 individuals each year, helped unite families and provide shelter to those in need of humanitarian relief, and introduced people from all over the world who contribute to our rich and diverse cultural and economic landscape.

Immigration Attorneys for the USA work with the DHS and USCIS to help a privileged few become citizens of the United States.

You may be represented, at no expense to the U.S. Government, by an immigration attorney or other duly authorized representative. Your representative must submit Form G-28, Notice of Entry or Appearance as Attorney or Representative, with your Form N-400. Your representative may also submit Form G-28 at the time of your interview.

Naturalization is commonly referred to as the manner in which a person not born in the United States voluntarily becomes a U.S. citizen.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) created this Guide to provide better and more consistent information to people interested in naturalization. It is written mainly for people 18 years or older who want to become citizens. Please take the time to review this information to make sure that you are eligible to apply for naturalization. You can find more information at or by calling Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283 or 1-800-767-1833 (for hearing impaired).

The Constitution and laws of the United States give many rights to both citizens and non-citizens living in the United States. However, some rights are only for citizens, such as:

  1. Voting. Only U.S. citizens can vote in Federal elections. Most States also restrict the right to vote, in most elections, to U.S. citizens.
  2. Bringing family members to the United States. Citizens generally get priority when petitioning to bring family members permanently to this country.
  3. Obtaining citizenship for children born abroad. In most cases, a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen is automatically a U.S. citizen.
  4. Traveling with a U.S. passport. A U.S. passport allows you to get assistance from the U.S. government when overseas.

If you are not a U.S. citizen by birth or did not acquire/derive U.S. citizenship automatically after birth, you may still be eligible to become a citizen through the naturalization process. Eligible persons use the “Application for Naturalization” (Form N-400) to apply for naturalization.

Persons who acquired citizenship from parent(s) while under 18 years of age use the “Application for Certificate of Citizenship” (Form N-600) to document their citizenship. Qualified children who reside abroad use the “Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate under Section 322” (Form N-600K) to document their naturalization. You may call the USCIS Forms Line at 1-800-870- 3676 to request a Form N-400, N-600, or N-600K; or you may download all of these forms at

Comments are closed.