To become a citizen of the USA at birth, you must:
- Be born in the United States of America or land subject to the jurisdiction of the United States
- OR have parents who were citizens at the time of your birth (if you were born in another country) and meet other legal requirement of a US citizen.
To become a US citizen otherwise, you must:
- Apply for “derived” or “acquired” citizenship through your parents
- OR Apply for naturalization
Most naturalization applicants are required to take a test on:
- Civics (U.S. history and government)